Thursday, October 6, 2011

Bourbon Barrel Stout




Brewer: Bluegrass Brewing Company, Louisville, Kentucky
Alcohol Content: 8.5-9%

Official Description from Brewer:
"This complex stout has aromas of bourbon, oak and dark roasted malts. Full-bodied, silky stout aged in Bourbon Barrels for 60 to 90 days. The aging process produces a smoky richness from the deep char of the barrels. Roasted barley flavors of chocolate and coffee develop as the stout continues along. Finishing hints of vanilla and bourbon finds it way down the back of the pallet."

Wilk's Take:
After my encounter with Bourbon Barrel Stout at the Valpo Brewfest and how exceptional the BBC RIP was that I already sampled, I made the effort to buy myself a four pack of the stout for some sampling.  After giving away three of the bottles I actually was able to enjoy the fourth prior to dinner last night.  And with the rare, warm October weather it was while working the grill.

Forgiving BBC their spelling error in the description (insert "Kentucky intelligence" joke here; I won't because I've heard the same lobbed at me about Indiana while working in Chicago) I can honestly say that not one word of what they think of their beer is a lie.  I, as evidenced by the blog, am never so succinct in my description of these beers.  BBC must pay someone to come up with this stuff.  (They do, he's called the brewer).

Bourbon Barrel Stout pours like a watered down beer.  There is no thickness to it whatsoever and I poured it, like I do all my beers, to have minimum head.  This isn't the used motor oil that stouts and porters can give, this is the fresh stuff right out of the quart!  And the aroma!  If you like bourbon, or any kind of whiskey, you will love the sweet air surrounding this beer.  You would think that you just got a Maker's neat and not a beer.  I really like that in these barrel beers.  Two Brothers did it well with their offering at the Illiana Brewfest as well.

There's not much more I can say about this beer that hasn't already been said.  If you consume it too quickly, you really miss out on the bourbon notes.  The chocolate and coffee undertones are prevalent no matter how fast to take it in, but are a supporting cast at best to the star of the show.  Low and slow my friends; that's the mantra you want to repeat to really get the best out of this beer and really appease your palate!

Suggestion: It's obvious right?

Value:  About $7-$8 a four pack if memory serves me correctly.  Not a steal by any stretch of the imagination, but good for a night of mellow consumption.

Michelle Factor:  M:"I taste chocolate."  W:"But did you like it?"  M:"I wouldn't drink a whole bottle if that's what you're asking.  Can we get some more of that pumpkin ale?"  W:"ABSOLUTELY NOT!  How about we try another pumpkin ale later."  M:"Anheuser Busch, big deal.  You love Michelob Golden Draft."  W:"Touche my dear, touche."

No comments: