Sunday, September 18, 2011

Beers and Bears

Dubbel Cannon IPA from Heavy Seas Beer, the new brand from Clipper City Brewing Company in Baltimore, Maryland.  Alcohol Content: 7.25%
No words from the brewer other than to say it is made with Belgian Dubbel yeast.  "Tangy hops and spicy aroma"  *Yawn*  I'm sorry Clipper City, you didn't bother to critique your own beer?  Well don't you worry, my thoughts are below.

 
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery in Galesburg, MI.  Alcohol Content: 7%.  From the brewer: "Two Hearted Ale is defined by its intense hop aroma and malt balance. Hopped exclusively with the Centennial hop varietal from the Pacific Northwest, massive additions in the kettle and again in the fermenter lend their characteristic grapefruit and pine resin aromas. A significant malt body balances this hop presence; together with the signature fruity aromas of Bell's house yeast, this leads to a remarkably drinkable American-style India Pale Ale."
Dead Guy Ale from Rogue Brewery in Newport, Oregon.  Alcohol Content: 16 degrees Plato.  From the brewer: "In the style of a German Maibock, using our proprietary Pacman ale yeast. Deep honey in color with a malty aroma and a rich hearty flavor."

In a world of possibilities, especially one in which a friend opens a refrigerator door and offers a world of different tasting beers, the last thing a person would ever think is to try the same beer three times.  You would almost be a fool to grab the Miller Lite and drink nothing but that.  I mean, the Bud Light Lime in the fridge was tempting, but instead I reached in and grabbed the Dubbel Cannon.

Absolutely nothing wrong with this beer.  The "tangy hops and spicy aroma" were not there.  I'm not saying this is a bad thing mind you.  The aroma was grainy.  This was no fruit laced hop scent, this was straight up hay bale-esque.  At first whiff I thought I was at the county fair again feeding little pellets to sheep who wanted nothing more than to eat and not feel my paw on their head.  But, what the hell, it's beer; let's go!  Away I sipped, running over the taste combination in my mind.  There really was nothing outstanding about this beer.  It was good, but I wasn't tripping over myself to run out and grab a second one from the fridge.

No, instead I grabbed the Dead Guy Ale.  Rogue let me down with the Irish Lager.  Well, not sure if it let me down and I'm not about to read the review to confirm the thoughts in my own head (that's too much like work and I'd rather be compared to a flip-flopping politician than fact check).  The Dead Guy Ale, even though it is a different style beer altogether, tasted surprisingly like the Dubbel Cannon.  I said that aloud and Brett confirmed my suspicion.  I was scared.  I mentioned to my father not too long ago that I would have to abandon the blog because all this craft beer started to blend together into a deeper shade of gray.  How could I ever brew and/or be a beer judge if I can't get a German Maibock and a Belgian IPA straight?  Alas, maybe the brewers messed up.  Yeah, let's go with that theory.  Dead Guy Ale, Dubbel Cannon: discuss! Also nothing outstanding about this beer.  It was good, but I wasn't tripping over myself to run out and grab a second one from the fridge.

No, instead I grabbed the Two Hearted Ale.  Before I even lifted the glass to my thoroughly quenched lips my friend Brett said, "You know, that beer surprisingly tastes like the other two, maybe a little hoppier."  Oh thank goodness he was right and wrong.  Two Hearted Ale was definitely hoppier, but that made all the difference in the world to the taste.  Finally a beer that wasn't like any of the others.  However, after a couple roast beef sandwiches and two similar beers clogging my palate, I feel it would be a disservice to Two Hearted Ale to give it any further look tonight.  It was delicious, but to fully describe the finer points of it would get me nothing but grief from those who actually trusted my opinion (of which there are few).  Bell's doesn't really disappoint and just by grabbing this beer Brett decided we needed to drive to Michigan just to check out the brewery.

Well, this makes two blog posts in the weekend.  Just to let you know, I have some pretty interesting bombers in my own refrigerator chilling for future consumption.  Next weekend is the Valpo BrewFest of which my cadre and I have decided to be VIPs.  The promise of sampling some rare brews was intriguing enough to show up an hour earlier.

No comments: