Sunday, June 5, 2011

Beer, so much more than drinking

As I progress down the path of beer enlightenment, I find myself inching steadily closer to the imaginary line where I cross over into beer snobbery.  My seemingly innocuous attempt at introducing my little world to some pretty awesome brews apparently spits in the face of the new craft beer movement.  Maybe.

Unbeknownst to me, my take on the beer I consume tends to factor in the the five critiques that most beer tasters will comment on when pouring a new beer: look, smell, taste, mouthfeel, and overall.  Amazing that anyone would want to capture every human sense that goes into drinking a beer!  My description also tend to walk the same line as others, but I'd like to think that my added dash of humor is what keeps my reading public so entertained.

There is a subculture out there that threatens this simplicity.  One that, for a fee, allows you to get certified to be a beer god!!!  Hyperbole aside, there are multiple sites out there threatening the joyful existence of a simple beer drinker like myself.  Cicerone.org, BJCP.org, and others don't necessarily offer to train you, but will gladly administer a test that will make you become either a certified beer server or a certified beer judge.

So I ask my readers, and respond by comment if you would please, should I take the leap into beer snobbery and become a certified beer know-it-all?  Or should I just keep doing what I'm doing and not ruin our future nights out by commenting on every beer I drink?

1 comment:

Logical Technical Services said...

Snobbery it is. I'll join ya!