Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Newport Beach Chronicles - Volume 2

There is such a laid back atmosphere in southern California, especially on the weekends, that makes you want to spend every waking moment there.  We were in no hurry at all to move anywhere, which is a little disturbing for me because I knew there was a microbrewery waiting to be explored.  But, patiently I waited as we dined on some Poke salad, bbq oysters, and a Cajun Opah sandwich.  After all, I wasn't just there to sample only west coast beer!

The Newport Beach Brewing Company was a brief saunter from lunch and the weather was perfect for the 2 minute walk.  Due to the holiday weekend and the pilgrimage of inland Californians to the beach, we skillfully swooped into a table that had just been vacated and kept our elbows off until the server could sanitize it with her oft used dish rag.  I perused the menu and landed on a special barrel aged brew that just happened to tap out.  So I was left with a sour beer alternative.

Without a name I can't give any recommendations one way or the other.  I can honestly say that I would venture back to Newport Beach Brewing Company on any return trips to the area based on the quality of this beer.  It starts with a jolt of sour on your tongue.  I can't compare this to a sour cherry, apple, or candy flavor, it was just sour.  The finish of the beer was anything but.  It was sweet, daringly sweet at that, but it was nice and cold and refreshing when the southern California sun is on your face.

We only stayed at the brewing company for one beer as the meter was about to expire and there was a different scene to take in on the peninsula.  If you can get some Newport Beach beers, let me know what you think.  As far as their one-off's this one was pretty damn good.

No comments: