Friday, June 3, 2011

Newport Beach Chronicles Concluded


Move over Wise Guys.  You've got nothing on BevMo.  It could be because of the availability of craft beer out west far outweighing that here in Northwest Indiana, but BevMo walking down the aisles of the BevMo beer section I could almost feel the wispy haze of fog you would get in a dream.  It just does not end.  Domestics down one aisle, imports down another, all the while brewers you'd maybe heard about in a past life lined the shelves.  And the price!  Seven 22 ounce bombers for under $40!  RIDICULOUS!!!  Seven, being a heavenly number, I finished my last night in Newport in style with Dave, the Todd, and Dennis.


Samuel Smith Taddy Porter

What?  Another import?  Wilk what are you doing?  We're good ol' Americans and want good ol' American beer!!!  I couldn't help it with this one for a couple of reasons: 1. I love porter; 2. The Todd swears by it.  How could I argue with that logic?  As I said yesterday he has been into the craft beer scene longer than I have so I trust his judgment.  He wasn't wrong.  The beautiful pour reminded me of dark Brazilian walnut wood and the roasted barley malt danced deliciously along my taste buds.  If you can find Samuel Smith near you, buy it, you will not be disappointed.




Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ale
Two imports in the same sitting?  You've got to be kidding me?!?  If you recall, nut brown ale had already been sampled on this trip and you need a basis of comparison.  It is a little unfair however to truly put this side-by-side with the Glenwood Canyon No Name Nut.  You have to realize the growler was poured cold, warmed in transit, rechilled and then served.  Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale was purchased from BevMo and refrigerated before consumption.  And believe me, that was a good thing.  The brew was so incredibly smooth and nutty that any other brown ale I had in the past week paled in comparison.  Beautiful color and aroma and a clean finish that had me begging for more.  Too bad I was sharing.



Firestone Walker
Double Jack IPA
You'll see as this series of beers progresses that I had to be out of my mind to weave in and out of dark, light, smooth, bitter, and a random beer selection that probably makes no sense to anybody.  Remember, I had help with these and as good times go you lose your way in conversation.  Firestone is brewed in California and the west coast hop difference the Todd kept alluding to was certainly prevalent in this beer.  The amber color contradicts the pale ale moniker and the malts enhance the bitterness offered with the hops.  The grapefruit undertone is here but it is tempered by a sweeter hop flavor that made me enjoy this IPA over any other I had tried to this point.







Grand Teton Brewing
Pursuit of Hoppiness
 Went out of the California brewery scene for this gem.  The 750 mL bottle beckoned me on the shelf and my new found desire to try as many hop-tastic beers as possible to train my palate made grabbing Pursuit an easy decision.  It was damn good.  The beer does not advertise itself as an IPA, rather an Imperial Red that tempts your bitter taste buds.  The color was spot on after the pour and the finish was dazzlingly brilliant.  With Pursuit, I feel I crossed the hop threshold that had been holding me back.  The pineapple flavor of hop started to come through with this beer and I decided right then and there that next week's reviews would be nothing but IPAs (or something akin).






Stone Brewing Company
Sublimely Self Righteous
 I had previously shown some disdain for Stone in the way in which they describe their beers.  With Self-Righteous they attempt to err on the side of modesty which is a little oxymoronic given the name of the ale.  Having said all of that, this beer is fantastic.  Of the carousel of beers that evening this was Best-in-Show.  What was more shocking than anything was that the Todd, a life-long southern California guy, never encountered this brew before and he was loving it.  Self-Righteous is a wonderfully dark, hop heavy brew that pairs bitterness and smoothness in a way never before tasted in beer (at least in my short-lived craft beer life).  Hop beers, Wilk.  Wilk, hop beers.  Nice to meet you.





Bear Republic
Big Bear Black Stout
 To be fair, Bear Republic is more well known for an IPA called Racer 5 that has won more awards than I wish to label here.  Since we were hop heavy already and I had my biases while still perusing beer upon beer, I opted for the stout here.  Needless to say, I was not disappointed here either.  The black stout had won some awards in its own style category and it surely tasted like it deserved it.  The caramel undertone was tempered by the hoppiness of the brew.  I was actually surprised by the bitterness that hit my tongue but it was a welcome surprise.  At 55 IBUs this was probably the hoppiest stout I had encountered.  Not available in Indiana, but available across the border in Illinois, I may make a few runs to try what else Bear Republic has to offer.





Anderson Valley Brewing
Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout
 Save the best for last?  Maybe, maybe not.  I've already declared that the Self-Righteous was the best beer of the night.  This was a very close second, especially for a stout lover like me.  If you can end the night with any beer, I would still go with YETI or B.O.R.I.S.  But your second to last beer of the night should be the Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout.  If you can blend chocolate with beer you'd get this beer.  The color, the pour, the flow, the taste, the finish, all perfectly blended in beer and chocolate notes.  Deliciously smooth and only a hint of bitterness allows you to spend your last hour savoring a quality dessert beer.  Not sure I'll be able to find this beer close to home but I will certainly search for it.


No comments: