Thursday, June 16, 2011

Flossmoor Station Restaurant and Brewery

Ah the lunchtime beer.  Away from the stressful work day, for most just not for me these days, you kick back with a cold pint and wash your worries away with a frosty lager or ale.  Luckily, I was joined by some of the finest people on the planet and sat on the patio of Flossmoor Restaurant and Brewery and soaked in the best weather of the day discussing how great life was at the moment.

While dining with Brett at Three Floyd's some weeks back the bartender received a gift from his friends in Flossmoor.  Naturally, it perked my interest and I determined that I must visit a local brew for the sake of the blog naturally.  So I called up Brett and we dragged our wives to lunch to sample what Flossmoor had to offer.

The food was phenomenal.  I'm hardly surprised.  You have to assume that if someone takes the time to prepare a good beer they probably take the time to prepare good food.  Of course, we are here to talk about the beer.

From their available menu I selected three beers and grabbed a seasonal rye.  The rye was up first.  It was bold and had a hint of hop to it and was generally refreshing.  From there I really messed with my taste buds I ventured into their Panama Red Ale.  My affinity for ambers led me to hop heaven here.  Flossmoor describes Panama Red as "hoppy, robust yet smooth amber" and they are not lying.  It was great and went well with my meal.

I asked the server what the Flossmoor flagship beer was and she mentioned their IPA, but then told me they sell more of their Zephyr Golden Ale.  This is because it is the closest thing that resembles Miller Lite or Bud Light and apparently some less than adventurous patrons visit their brewpub than I would have thought.  The Golden is not very tasty.  The flavor is just a notch above those American lagers.

I finished with the Iron Horse Stout.  It is an oat stout that looked like motor oil, as it should, and tasted like pure magic, as it should.  I am certainly embellishing here.  As I've mentioned before when you have the best company the beer tastes that much better.

No comments: