Thursday, June 30, 2011

Milk Stout


Brewer: Left Hand Brewing Company, Longmont, Colorado
Alcohol Content: 6%

Official Description from Brewer:
"Dark and delicious, America's great milk stout will change your perception about what a stout can be. Preconceived notions are the blinders on the road to enlightenment. Udderly delightful."

Wilk's Take:
As I am a sucker for a good stout, I couldn't help but grab this bottle for my six pack variety pack.  It has been sitting in my refrigerator for a good, long while as I've been busy getting the house in order from all things construction.  The worst part is, I had been anxiously waiting for the right time to crack open this brew.  Milk stouts have become more and more popular with the advance of craft beers and they make a great dessert.  After a night of homemade pizza, I figured it would be perfect.

Left Hand did me wrong with TNT.  I was expecting great things with this offering and I was not disappointed.  The stout poured beautifully into my usual pint glass, which I discovered is not quite a pint.  The black hue was inviting and the liquid was far from thick.  As I drew in a deep breath my sense of smell detected an odor bordering on rubbing alcohol hidden beneath the milky bitterness of the beer.  It was sickeningly sweet in a way.

My first draw of the Milk Stout was so smooth and creamy.  A sweet undertone gave way to an intense coffee aftertaste that was further followed by the initial milkiness.  The sensation was phenomenal and kept the glass tilted at a 45 degree angle near my lips.

Left Hand has won me back with the delicious Milk Stout.  It indeed was the perfect dessert beer to cap off my night and I am looking forward to stocking my fridge with a couple bottles.

Suggestion: Add this to your stout collection without hesitation.  Even if you aren't a fan of dark beers you will be pleasantly surprised by the rich, creaminess that Milk Stout has to offer.  If you don't like coffee, avoid the black aftertaste.

Value: Part of my $2/bottle variety pack.  Well worth it.  Smooth, delicious, and 6%.

Michelle Factor:  Michelle grimaced upon taking her sip of Milk Stout thanks to the intense coffee flavor on the back end.  After a minute she discovered the milkiness underneath but was still not impressed.

No comments: