Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Beers of 3 Floyd's with Brett

Alpha King - "3 Floyd’s flagship beer, Alpha King is a big American pale ale that pours a deep amber with a creamy head. This ale is brewed with Centennial, Cascade, and Warrior hops giving it an intense citrus aroma and a crisp hoppy finish."

Gumball Head - "An American Wheat Ale, Gumballhead is named in honor of the underground comic book cat created by Rob Syers. Initially a seasonal summer beer, now brewed year round due to demand. This beer helped redefine American Wheat Beers. Brewed with Amarillo Hops and a generous portion of American red wheat, Gumballhead has a complex hop aroma with notes of grapefruit, lemon zest, marmalade and peach. These flavors combined with low bitterness make Gumballhead a refreshing American Wheat Beer that doesn’t suck."

Topless Wych - "A strong, full-bodied Baltic Porter with coffee and chocolate notes."

I started the afternoon with the Alpha King.  When you walk into a brewpub attached to the brewery you should probably start with the beer they identify as their flagship.  So I willingly went with my gut and ordered one up and finally let a professional pour me a beer.  As you can tell from the picture, it is very noticeable when you get a beer poured by someone who knows what he's doing.  I'm not going to lie, 3 Floyd's hit the nail on the head when it comes to describing this brew.  It is incredibly hoppy and does have that crisp citrus undertone.  This was a much better experience than Pride and Joy.  I gulped Alpha King down and, although I am not a big fan of hoppy beers, I could definitely see myself ordering it again and again.

My friend Brett has told me on more than one occasion that when push comes to shove he goes with Gumball Head.  I put in my order and the pour was once again spot on.  3 Floyd's brewers or tasters can truly define a beer.  The fruity and floral undertones to this wheat beer are as they describe.  The only downfall with Gumball Head is that I could not differentiate it from other wheat beers I've tried.  That's not to say Gumball isn't good, but to me, it's not special.  Brett, if you read this, take no offense.

To cap off my experience I went to my favorite style of beer, a porter.  I went with the Topless Wych because I was told it was better than the Hoppin' Frog Silk Porter I had the night before.  The pour, again beautiful, was inviting to my eyes.  The color was that of coffee and so was the aroma.  The coffee smell was strong with this one, but the taste revealed nothing of it.  Brett, who doesn't fancy porters, was really impressed with the taste of Topless Wych.  There certainly is a rich, roasted malt flavor to this porter that is so easy on the palate.  Unlike the YETI, you don't lose your taste buds with Topless Wych.

It certainly is an adventure dining with someone of opposite beer tastes.  I avoid IPAs and wheat beers like the plague and shoot for stouts and porters.  Brett goes the other way.  We're going to Illiana Mayfest together.  Should be a really great time and should lead to great beer discussion.


No comments: