Saturday, May 14, 2011

Super Cold

Legally, I should not be downloading pictures from the Internet and using them here to promote my own self interest.  I believe that's copyright infringement.  I haven't consulted with my lawyers yet, but I'm playing it safe.  Although, I am sure the reading public out there can satisfactorily picture a bottle or can of Coors Light.

The new brain child from MillerCoors introduced last week is the concept of "Super Cold."  Now most of the press releases that have been posted on various websites fail to mention what temperature will allow the "Super Cold" bar to be activated.  After about 2 minutes on Google it appears to be around 29 degrees.

Now, as an American style light lager, we know that Coors Light yeast ferments at the nifty temperature of 34 degrees.  The mountains turn blue at this temperature.  This is actually a myth.  My refrigerator is set at 38 degrees and the mountains turn blue every time.  The bottle is lying to me!  It's telling me I'm enjoying the beer at the peak of freshness!  BUT WAIT!  If I put it in the freezer I can achieve the "Super Cold" status of 29 degrees!

In the press release, MillerCoors tells us that 70 percent of young beer drinkers put their beer in the freezer to enjoy it.  What they fail to mention is that most young beer drinkers buy their beer warm because it is cheaper and then throw it in the freezer so that it gets colder faster.  What about the beers we've forgotten in the freezer and they decide to get slushy?

Beware the marketing gimmick.  Of course, I'm sure we're all smart enough to do that.

No comments: