Saturday, May 28, 2011

Points west

Denver has more microbreweries than you can imagine visiting in one night there.  This presents a problem for a man looking to critique beers.  As I bid a fond farewell to Denver, I knew it is probably possible to find a microbrew wherever you may go.  We ventured west along I-70 and found ourselves looking lunchtime right in the eye.  Amid the Glenwood Canyon we land at Glenwood Springs and sit down at the Glenwood Canyon Brewery for what my father has dubbed, "The best damn beer cheese soup I've ever had in my life."

With about six hours of driving still ahead of us, Dave and I agreed that a lunchtime beer was not an option.  We both ordered the beer cheese soup in a spectacular bread bowl.  Now, I'm not entirely sure I ever had beer cheese soup before, but I can say confidently that the Glenwood Canyon Brewery has a damn fine concoction on their hands.  This satisfied my beer requirement at the pub, even though it didn't come from the tap.

Without even bothering to taste any of their beers, we opted for a growler of No Name Nut Brown Ale.  We now had our second growler of the trip on our way to Newport Beach, California. 

West of Denver is the beautiful Rocky Mountains and west of that is Utah.  Unfortunately we did not get to find the one microbrewery in Utah we could find on the Internet.  We continued southwest until we stopped for the night at St. George, UT.  After talking with the hotel front desk we discovered that there's really only one bar and it's called "The One and Only."

Don't go to "The One and Only."  I had to settle with a Michelob Amber Bock.  At least we made it to Newport.

No comments: