Wednesday, May 4, 2011

For Starters...

For a little over two months now I have experienced unemployment.  Not entirely bad.  I get to sleep as long as the dogs will let me, keep the house in a perpetual state of cleanliness, and get to experiment with cooking dinner for my wife Michelle.  The drawbacks include dogs that constantly require my attention because they've been spoiled by it, an unhealthy obsession with video card games, and boredom.

So I've embarked on an endeavor that millions have taken before me, I've started a blog.  Not just any blog mind you, a blog that explores the world of water, yeast, hops, and grain.  Yes, as you have surmised from the title of this blog, I will be talking about beer.

My brother Adrian introduced me to Beer Geeks not so long ago.  If you live in Northwest Indiana and have not gone I suggest you try it.  The atmosphere is great and the exposure to new beers is phenomenal.  You can sample any of the rotating 20 beers on tap and decide where you want the night to take you.

On my most recent visit to Beer Geeks I had the pleasure of ordering a bottle of Hoppin' Frog's B.O.R.I.S., an oatmeal stout that is aged in oak whiskey barrels.  It was by far the best beer I ever had in my life.  It took me an hour and a half to drink a 22 oz. bottle and I had to lean on my brother to finish 10 oz. of it.  This beer is what led me to the idea of this blog.  If this is the best beer I ever had, what else have I been missing!

I am fortunate to live close to a liquor store that can accommodate the task of beer exploration.  Wise Guys has the old standbys as well as the craft brews that have been slowly chipping away at the beer market share.  The popularity of micro brews has created a new brand of beer drinkers in the 21st century and those with discerning palates are shelling out their hard earned cash to enjoy brands not called Miller or Busch.  Of course, the old standbys still go great with wings, pizza, and brats.  Craft brews will quickly spoil you though, so proceed with caution.

Do not come to my blog looking for the most thorough analysis of beer that it is no longer enjoyable to simply imbibe a pint.  I am a rookie at this and simply offering my own views of some beers that may not be easy to find or even known to you.  Just for kicks, I'll visit some of the beers that I've enjoyed over the years that are available at your favorite grocery store, convenience store, or gas station.

Feel free to offer suggestions on beer, stories of beer consumption, and your favorite pint!

No comments: