Thursday, May 19, 2011

R.I.P. - Russian Imperial Porter

Brewer: Bluegrass Brewing Company, Louisville, Kentucky
Alcohol Content: A mystery to me

Official Description from Brewer:
Another mystery to me

Wilk's Take:
I have become a slave to the Russian Imperial Porter.  I am not sure if I can go back to drinking any other beers.  That poses a problem of course because these porters tend to be quite heavy.  BBC as they affectionately call themselves does not even list this particular beer on their website and there is nothing on the bottle that indicates how they wish to portray their beer.  All of this is moot because it is one delicious beer.

RIP poured perfectly.  The liquid in whole form in the glass gives the perfect coffee tone one expects in a porter.  However, I had the wonderful fortune to catch a single drop in the light and it gave off an inviting caramel color that made me stop for a brief second.  The aroma was beautiful.  All the roasted malts were absolutely perfect.  The coffee scent that is prevalent in other porters was not as distinct with RIP.  The chocolatey undertone was definitely there.

I savored this beer.  I couldn't get over how rich and full of flavor it was.  The taste is not over powering.  Roasted malts and bitterness gave way to a dark sweetness.  The first drink is like making the mistake of eating baker's chocolate.  It is so bitter, but it quickly melts away as you give the brew time to play with your taste buds.

Suggestion: Drink this beer.  It is better than the Topless Wych from 3 Floyd's yesterday and trumps the YETI in terms of the mild draw.  The flavor is magnificent.

Value: For $7.50 you get over 25 ounces.  The alcohol content has to be over 7% and it's just an enjoyable beer.  I think the value is there, but with BBC not really advertising this beer I couldn't tell you if it will be around any longer.

Michelle Factor:  Michelle was going to skip trying this brew.  In the end she acquiesced and put the glass under her nose.  She detected a sweetness in the aroma but when she drank it I got the same facial expression.  Maybe Michelle is more of a wheat beer kind of girl.

No comments: