Monday, May 16, 2011

Silk Porter

Brewer: Hoppin' Frog, Akron, Ohio
Alcohol Content: 6.2%

Official Description from Brewer:
"Dark, robust and silky-smooth, with many flavors of roasted, toasted and caramel malts. Porter is an old-world beer style, so popular that it helped start the industrial revolution. Taste the history."
Wilk's Take:
Hoppin' Frog won me over the first time with B.O.R.I.S. so in honor of American Craft Beer Week I went to them for a 22oz. bomber of their Silk Porter.  I was hoping they could catch lightning in more than one bottle and took the opportunity to enjoy the next selection.  Silk Porter poured beautifully and left little head.  I'm starting to wonder if I'm leaving the glass tilted too long.  On the pour into a second glass it left a perfect 1" head that dissipate as soon as it formed.

Silk Porter looks like weak coffee sitting lukewarm waiting for ice and cream.  The liquid itself is not heavy even though the color is very dark.  I found nothing out of the ordinary with the aroma of Silk Porter and can't really describe the smell outside of that of dark beer.  When I tilted the glass to my lips the aroma remains prevalent.  As the porter sat on my tongue the carbonation attacked my taste buds like a soda.  This actually continues through the entire glass.

Silk Porter finishes with a very intense coffee undertone.  The taste that lingers in your mouth after the beer is a fading coffee flavor and of course, beer.  As far as flow goes, the beer is smooth and is a quick drink.  For a dark beer you are not knocked out by any roasted malts and can finish a glass as quickly as you could a lighter lager.

Suggestion: Drink it.  If you are a fan of porters you will not be disappointed with this one.  Personally, it's going to take a considerable change of heart if I decide to buy another Silk Porter again.

Value: A 22oz bomber for around $8.  You can probably get a porter that tastes as good for a better value if you look for it.

Michelle Factor: Not applicable.  Regretfully I drank this beer away from Michelle, however, based on previous beers with a heavy coffee flavor I can only imagine she would dislike this one equally.

*****DISCLAIMER*****
I have been doing nothing but inhaling drywall dust all day and my sinuses are probably not in the right frame of mind to be critiquing beer.  I poured this for my brother and he really enjoyed it.  My attitude was mostly negative.  I trust his judgment so have at it.

No comments: