Friday, May 27, 2011

Denver

I wouldn't want to label my trip to Great Divide Brewery as a pilgrimage, but it certainly had that feel to it.  After drinking the YETI for my first microbrew review I almost felt I owed them some loyalty.  Luckily for me, Great Divide did not disappoint and my stay there was certainly memorable.

I sampled five of Great Divide's beers and Dave, my traveling companion (although in realty I'm his), sampled the other five.  Of those ten beers, not a single one was disappointing.  The only disappointing aspect was the fact that we were heading to a Rockies game and we could not take a growler to go.  Since their beers are available where I live, I wasn't entirely heart broken.

Two beers that really got my attention at Great Divide were their seasonal fare: Chocolate Oak Aged YETI and the 17th anniversary wood aged Double IPA.  The YETI, unlike the original, has an even more intense flavor and is even complemented with cayenne undertones.  It makes for rich, roasty, spicy flavor.  If you're are going to choose between the two, I'd recommend the original YETI.  The cayenne flavor lingers on a bit too long.  The Double IPA is lacking the usually bitterness you would expect to find.  When I asked the bartender about the IBU content he told me around 50.  The brew was smooth and flavorful with the perfect touch of hops.

Wilk sneaking a peek at Great Divide aging barrels

After Great Divide we walked up to Breckenridge Brewery directly across from Coors Field.  I started out with the requisite flagship brew, Avalanche Amber Ale.  The perfect amber color was a beautiful sight after the amber attempt from Upstream.  The beer went well with the wings we grabbed.  There is a reason this is Breckenridge's most popular beer, it's damn good.  Afterwards I switched to their Scotch ale and was also pleased with the result.  I regret that I can't give a thorough analysis of these beers because the visit was more about socializing with friends than critiquing beer.  Both styles were great and if I come across any other Breckenridge beers I will pick them up willingly.

Home of 70 on tap microbrews from around the world and twice as many bottles

After the game we went to Falling Rock Tap House where I continued sampling the best Denver had to offer.  I went with two more selections to round out the evening: Left Hand Brewing Company's Milk Stout and Bull and Bush's Man Beer.  Left Hand redeemed itself completely after the TNT fiasco.  The Milk Stout was so deliciously creamy, it was as if I was drinking a White Russian.  Bull and Bush's Man Beer was a hoppy amber that was perfectly bitter and refreshing.  I think after the spoil of Denver microbrews I may have found my hop desire.

Stay tuned for points west...

No comments: