Tuesday, May 10, 2011

PranQster

Brewer: North Coast Brewing Company, Fort Bragg, California
Alcohol Content: 7.6%

Official Description from Brewer:
"Belgian Ales represent the height of the brewers' art.  Sophisticated brewing techniques, yeast blends and unique flavoring elements have elevated the beers of Belgium to the status enjoyed by wine in other countries.
PranQster follows in this tradition using a mixed culture of antique yeast strains that produce a floral nose, a full fruity flavor and a clean finish."

Wilk's Take:
I was first introduced to PranQster at the 2011 Blue Chip Brewfest in the pictured pint glass poured precariously to the blue 4 ounce line.  To be perfectly frank, I do not remember the taste of the sample oh so many weeks ago.  It took reviewing the pamphlet I received at the fest to even remember that I tried it there.  The reason I picked it off the shelf was the 750 mL bottle and the cork stopper entwined in a steel cage a la champagne.

PranQster poured nicely, but next time I'll have to have the camera more ready when I pour.  The picture above gives the ale more credit than it deserves.  The original pour left a thick head that slowly faded away before I could snap the picture.  When looking at the brew in the glass I was taken back to my youth.  If you've ever been to a cider mill, you've probably encountered freshly produced apple cider.  That's the look of PranQster.  Do not confuse this with Mott's Apple Juice.  There is no transparency in the glass.  The beer is thick and almost cloudy.

If PranQster looks like cider, it smells and tastes like it too.  The initial smell was really more of a sour apple Jolly Rancher.  How could that be?  I haven't had Zima in 10 years!  I digress.  The first sip yielded the taste of a sourer, less satisfying cider beer.  Imagine Woodchuck without the sweet undertone.  But, it was damn tasty.  I almost confused the beer for a more potent American style light lager (more on this later) but the sour cider taste eventually gave way to a sweet finish.  Not too sweet however, so don't think you're getting sugar water here.

With the cork as the main top of the beer, you really can't reseal the bottle for later consumption, unless you drink wine and have a cork handy.  I am certainly glad I did not.  While I was drinking the first glass I let the bottle sit on the counter and let the brew get warmer.  The second glass poured as equally as the first, but the flavor was much more intense than in the first glass.  I wasn't entirely sold while drinking the first pour, but the second definitely sold me on PranQster.

Suggestion:  PranQster is a good drink.  It isn't very heavy but it's not entirely light either.  The brew is a great balance with intense flavor as the ambiance invades the bottle.  As with ales, the closer to room temperature, the better the beer.

Value: $6 for a 750 mL bottle.  You can get two bottles of Boone's Farm at that price but you couldn't enjoy drinking them as much.  After drinking PranQster you are in a good place.  Rumor is you can also get a four pack, just not sure of the price.  For $6, pony up the greenbacks and enjoy.

Michelle factor: Michelle let this beer settle in her mouth before swallowing this time.  In the end she likened PranQster to a stronger Miller Lite (see I told you I'd mention American light style lager).

No comments: